Thursday, April 5, 2012

Easter - The Passion of Christ

The spirit of Easter is all about Hope, love, and joyful living.
~ Anonymous.


The Passion 3ft x 4ft Oil and Gold Leaf on Canvas
This painting is my modern interpretation of the Passion of Christ.   I juxtaposed modern figures in traditional garments with symbols and designs and highlighted some of the major moments from the Passion.  The border is gold leaf with painted nail heads that appear to be pounded into the frame.  The lily is present through out the background design because they are often associated with Easter and are a common symbol in Christianity.  See details below:

Pieta -  I choose to focus on the Virgin Mary as well as Mary Magdelene lamenting over Christ.  

I didn't paint Christ with any stigmata because I wanted the figures to speak for themselves.  I felt the blood and wounds would compete too much and destract from the message I was trying to convey. 

This is the moment in which Mary discovers the empty tomb and Christ comes to her. (Note a reference to the creation of man behind her.)

Some scences from the Passion I was heavily inspired by famous images.  However, The moment in which Christ carries the cross I wanted to investigate a different pain. The people who were observing must have had an overwhelming response to a physical pain they were seeing at their feet.  What was happening emotionally to the people who bared witness?   Once again I focused on the Virgin Mary and Mary Magdalene.  We don't actually see Christ or the cross but we see the Virgin reacting with a reserved pain. I tried to portray a look of great emotional grief but also strength. 
The moment where Jesus is betrayed by Judas with the kiss leading to the arrest has been depicted by artist time and time again. Instead of a literal interpretation of "the kiss" I wanted to see what Christ's face said in that moment. Was it forgiving?  Was it Fearful?  Was it all knowing?  I wanted him to be looking out asking this question to me.  What is the answer? I still haven't decided. What do you see?

Christ on the cross.  The Cruxifiction is the most recognizable moment in Christianity and the Passion.  Instead of the traditional portrayal of Christ on the cross I have him suspended in the air.  I wanted to remove the cross because of it's heavy association with ancient forms of punishment and torture.  I wanted to remove Christ from that moment and investigate him and try to understand him as simply as I could. Does this help us connect more with the history of Christ if we can remove time between then and now? Can we see ourselves and how we relate to the people in these stories more?


To see more of my art please visit my website www.jessiedecorsey.com
Jessie DeCorsey
Fine Arts & Photography



No comments:

Post a Comment