Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Last Supper Painting - Process Revealed

“The artist sees what others only catch a glimpse of.”
    - Leonardo da Vinci 


The Last Supper 7ft x 4 ft Oil and Gold Leaf on Canvas


My body of work focuses largely on traditional images found through out ancient cultures and Christianity.  After studying the art of iconography I found a style of painting that resonated with me.  It inspired my Modern Icon series and the Last Supper was created after the famous painting by Leonardo da Vinci.  Since I was using modern figures to portray Christ and the disciples I wanted to leave elements of the last supper that would be easily identifiable.  See process images below:


The first step to my process is a base layer on the figures.  I prefer to start with the faces or figures in contrast to most artist who start with the background. I do this because I like to get the most intricate and difficult layers done first.  Once I have that step finished the rest of the painting seems to come together quickly and painlessly.    

Next I applied the background layer of gold leaf.

After the background was covered I revisited the figures and finished the base layer on hands, arms, and clothing.

I first apply my lightest lights and my darkest darks.  Then I work the mid tones in which stort of connect the puzzle pieces.
Once all of the figures are painted I start with the staining process where I add colors and remove them with rags.

Next I move into the tedious border designs. In most cases I create my own stencils out of a heavy weight drawing paper. 
After the borders have dried I go back and add a stain coat again.
Lastly, I go back to the figures and give them all another coat on top of the base layer. This is where the photo realistic quality comes in.  The way the layers work together allow me to blend colors and skin tones smoothly making the overall image look like a photograph.

Want to see more of my paintings?  Please visit my website www.jessiedecorsey.com

Jessie DeCorsey
Fine Arts & Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment